Matthew Howard CEng
Chemical Engineer. Sustainability Focus. STEM in Schools Volunteer.
00 44 (0)7903 383081
Chartered Chemical Engineer with six years’ experience in design, modification, and operation of process plants, international experience in Saudi Arabia, and exposure to concept, detailed and construction project phases across energy industry and more recently refining of recycled precious metals. Values rooted in transition to more sustainable, closed loop system believing that empowering the next generation is key priority. Industrial experience backed-up by enrichment in STEM outreach, student-centric activity development as well as career break partly in humanitarian aid delivering social engagement and tuition to refugee communities. Forward thinking, strong planner, enthusiastic, energetic, fast learner, flexible working style, clear communicator, lead with proactivity.
University of Cambridge, Clare College
2007 – 2011 MEng MA Chemical Engineering, Class 2.1 Via Natural Sciences
2011 Research Project, Class 1: Collaborative performance testing with Xaar technology
2010 Design Project, Class 1: Three-phase insecticide reactor feasibility study
Steyning Grammar School, West Sussex
2005 – 2007 A-Levels: 5 As: Physics (AEA Merit, Achievement Award), Chemistry, Biology, Double Maths
2003 – 2005 GCSEs: 9 A*s, 2 As; School Science and Technology Awards
Johnson Matthey, Senior Process Engineer, October 2017 – Present
Development of novel chemical and physical separation processes spanning solvent extraction, solid phase absorption and selective precipitation for new £70m facility recovering and refining pure precious metals from metallic recycling streams. Interfacing across multiple sites and teams, aligning project aims.
- Coordination of 6-person design team for activities leading to design hazard review and procurement readiness, project planning and progress tracking.
- Development of process detailed engineering design of new facility, key process drawings, equipment sizing, systems design, 3D model input.
- Cross plant consistency driver and set up of formal check and approve documentation system for whole project
- On-boarding of new contractor team and assistance with setting project expectations.
- Coordination and attendance in Process Risk Assessments to understand key process hazards.
- Collation of major project cost items to establish estimate informing sanction decision.
Career Break, September 2016 – September 2017
- Lighthouse Relief, Male Volunteer Focal Point, Filippiada and Katsikas Refugee Camps, Greece.
- Coordinated male engagement to complement female safe space mandate of the NGO. Facilitated and empowered community led activities; English mentoring, construction club, IT skills, music, sports. Taught in the camp makeshift school; maths, chemistry, encouraged local community involvement.
- Private Renovation Project, Owner & Coordinator, November 2015 – December 2016, Cambridge
- Coordinated and completed £30k refurbishment of domestic dwelling. Focus on maximising use of reclaimed materials, upgrading electrical / heating systems to modern standard, skills self-taught.
Kellogg Brown & Root, Senior Technical Professional – Process, September 2011 – August 2016
Developing, modifying and revamping process facility design on international scale for a variety of clients, including 18 month assignment in Saudi Arabia, and consultancy with subsidiary Granherne.
• Understanding the key limitations to process plants, devising solutions to increase production.
E.g. $40bn Caspian infrastructure, gas production increase 13%. LNG Boil-off capacity up 30%.
• Optimisation of plant performance to maximise efficiency given existing operational data. Use of
process simulation tools to accurately model thermodynamic behaviour in operating plants.
E.g. review of gas export compression curves to achieve -15°C cricondentherm in new conditions.
Development of Floating Gas Facility simulation in HYSYS to meet key cricondenbar specification.
• Responsible for LNG Terminal Uptime verification work, key point of contact with client.
• Led Process Engineering, Gas Processing Revamp: represented project at key workshops including Value Engineering, Project Definition Risk Identification. Led study to reduce GWP of refrigerant.
• Sole Process Engineer for company on utilities block for 400,000 barrel per day Refinery. Managed multi-location interfaces including Engineering Centre (Monterrey); Client Project Management Team (Yanbu); construction and full EPC contractors.
HSEQ – Health, Safety, Environment & Quality
• Regular Safety Workshops: Process Flow Review, Process Hazard Analysis, HAZIDs.
• Uncompromising awareness of key process and personnel risks during design and operation.
• Plant-wide hydraulic modelling: LNG Firewater (PIPENET), whole Refinery Cooling Water (AFT).
• Dynamic Simulation assessment of safety critical elements in spurious valve closure scenarios. E.g. High Integrity Pressure Protection System (HIPPS) study for offshore production increase.
RAM – Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and FMEA – Failure Modes Effects Analysis
• Uptime verification for commercial bid, 1.5% Floating Liquefaction Facility improvement.
• Statistical assessment of equipment and system failures, weather, maintenance requirements.
• Economic assessment and cost estimating with in house benchmarked methods.
Engineering System Development
• Process Flow (PFD) and Piping & Instrumentation Diagram (P&ID) Development.
• Design of numerous cross-facility units: Inlet Separation, Acid Gas Removal, Dehydration, Low Temperature Separation, Refrigeration, Export Compression, Utility Delivery.
• Wide range of equipment sizing including multi-phase separators, columns, pumps, relief valves.
Clients: BP, Eni, BG, Centrica, Dragon LNG, Santos, Chevron, Statoil, Saudi Aramco, Sinopec, Woodside.
Locations: Caspian, Offshore Mozambique, UK North Sea, Offshore Indonesia, Tanzania, Saudi Arabia, W Australia.
- Support for Careers Advice Onslow St Audrey School 2019.
- Care for Calais Refugee Support 2018.
- IChemE: Energy Centre Representative, Parliamentary Links ‘Voice of the Future’ 2016.
- Industry Insights Presenter 2015: providing insight into careers in engineering for University students.
- Oil & Gas Subject Interest Group Education Officer: sponsoring and facilitating interactive engineering activities for secondary school students with charities such as SATRO.
- Charity & Community Lead for Company Network: contributing to learning culture for multiple stakeholders. Initiatives include local outreach motivating
careers in science & engineering: STEMNET Ambassador and local charity volunteer.
Organised: Event Production, Rowing Regatta; Head Coach; Exxon Mobil Engineering Challenge: Developed skills in budgeting, event management. Highlights include success of £150k Clare May Ball.
Have delivered engaging tuition across sciences as a private tutor and through STIMULUS classroom experience.
Accreditations & Awards
- Chartered Engineer (CEng), Member of the Institution of Chemical Engineers (MIChemE).
- Engineering Construction Industry Training Board (ECITB) Project Management Active Cup 2015 Gold Award.
- Rowing Clare Boat Club: “1st May Colours” for Clare College. Comprehensive record of achievement. CULRC (Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club) Development Squad.
- Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award: through British Schools Exploring Society Yukon Expedition.
- Sussex Youth Track Cycling Champion, British Talent Team trials.
- Exploration of Buddhist Philosophies
- Environmental Activist
- Transition Cambridge
- Cambridge Green Party Committee Member
- Hiking & Outdoor Pursuits
- Samba Fusion Drumming
Available on request