CEng MA(Cantab) MEng MIChemE
Chemical Engineer <-> Science Teacher
Looking for further school experience in parallel with work in industry (Johnson Matthey who are very supportive of STEM outeach).
00 44 (0)7903 383081
Chartered Chemical Engineer with six years’ experience in energy / chemicals industry, looking to gain more experience in teaching with mind to make a transition in the coming years.
Could comfortably take classes in KS3/GCSE/A-Level Physics / Chemistry / Maths.
Values rooted in transition to more sustainable, closed loop system believing that empowering the next generation is crucial priority. Industrial experience backed-up by enrichment in STEM outreach, student-centric activity development as well as career break partly in humanitarian aid delivering social engagement and tuition to refugee communities. Forward thinking, strong planner, enthusiastic, energetic, fast learner, flexible working style, clear communicator, lead with proactivity.
University of Cambridge, Clare College
2007 – 2011 MEng MA Chemical Engineering, Class 2.1 Via Natural Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Biology of Cells, Mathematics)
2011 Research Project, Class 1: Collaborative effort with Xaar inkjet technology.
2010 Design Project, Class 1: Three-phase insecticide reactor feasibility study.
Examined modules included: Mathematical Methods; Dynamics; Statistics; Laplace Transforms; Process Dynamics & Control; Optimisation; Fluid Mechanics; Heat & Mass Transport; Structural Analysis; Stress & Pressure Vessels; Heat Exchanger Networks; Modern Metrology; Particle Technology; Rheology; Thermodynamics; Equilibrium Thermodynamics; Equilibrium Staged Processes; Reactors; Corrosion & Materials; Separations; Colloidal Science; States of Matter; Biotechnology; Safety, Health & Environment; Bioprocessing; Sustainability.
Steyning Grammar School, West Sussex
2005 – 2007 A-Levels:
Physics Achievement Award.
AEA Physics, Merit. A2 Physics, A (97%). A2 Chemistry, A (90%). A2 Biology, A (86%). A2 Maths, A (90%). A2 Further Mathematics, A (88%).
2003 – 2005 GCSEs:
School Science and Technology Awards
Science (Double), A*A*. Mathematics, A*. Business & Economics, A*. Information Technology, A*. Design Technology, A*. Art & Design, A*. English Language, A. English Literature, A. French, A*. Religious Education, A*.
Educational Experience / Outreach
- Support for Careers Advice Onslow St Audrey School 2019.
2016 – 2017
- Lighthouse Relief, Male Volunteer Focal Point, Filippiada and Katsikas Refugee Camps, Greece, December 2016 -March 2017. Coordinated male engagement to complement female safe space mandate of the NGO. Facilitated and empowered community led activities; English mentoring, construction club, IT skills, music, sports. Taught in the camp makeshift school; maths, chemistry, encouraged local community involvement.
- Industry Insights Presenter 2015: providing insight into careers in engineering for University students.
2012 – 2016
- Oil & Gas Subject Interest Group Education Officer: sponsoring and facilitating interactive engineering activities for secondary school students with charities such as SATRO.
2011 – 2012
- Charity & Community Team KBR ‘IMPACT London’: young professionals network conceived to enrich the experience of employees and external stakeholders alike. Particular role involved arranging outreach events promoting Science & Engineering careers at events like the ‘Big Bang London’ as well as coordinating charity fundraising through internal sports and entertainment functions. Revamped the ‘LNG Game’ as an engaging interactive activity for students. This was also extended for use as a graduate icebreaker as well as for external graduate recruitment drives. Encouraged colleagues to join STEMNET (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics Network) to further increase the volume of volunteering in schools and at public engagement events.
- Private Tutor, Blue Tutors. Beyond employed commitments was an enthusiastic tutor delivering engaging tuition across scientific subjects. My core approach was simple but effective: rather than ‘lecturing’, I guided students to the correct conclusion, ensuring engagement with the material. I also made tuition interactive, which further increased student interest. Crucially, I was able to identify the pragmatic steps for success in exams. I knew how important practice can be, and therefore example exam questions formed a staple part of my tuition. I ensured expectations were understood from the start and tailored my tuition to suit exactly what was needed. Tutored Maths, Physics, Chemistry, at A-level and GCSE across numerous exam boards.
- STEMNET Ambassador (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics Network) Voluntary commitment, inspiring interest in STEM subjects to younger generation.
- BHBES Volunteer (Brent & Harrow Business Education Service) Oct 2011. Assisted at school ‘snake- pit’ event. Day centered on facilitating business idea generation. Delivered to KS4, took a whole class.
2010 – 2011
- ‘STIMULUS’ Volunteer (Science, Technology, Informatics, Mathematics Links with University and Schools) 2010. Developed teaching skills in lessons for GCSE students.
2006 – 2007
- Volunteer Tutor, Steyning Grammar School 2006/07. Across ages 12-18, learnt to adapt teaching methods to suit individuals. Included KS3 classroom assistance totaling more than 50 hours.
2005 – 2009
- Lancing Leisure, Senior Group Leader & Specialist, Summers 2005-2009, Lancing, West Sussex: ‘Holiday Fun’, a children’s holiday scheme providing sporting and artistic activities for 6-13 year olds. Particular expertise in mountain biking, ran daily sessions in loco parentis, responsibility for safety and behaviour of children. Progression with experience to supervisory role over other employees. Arranged employee rota and ensured all duties carried out. Gave feedback on employee performance and suggested sensible employee combinations.
For industrial experience / other enrichment / interests see Broad CV